CUPE 748 represents the support staff of The Kootenay Lake School District #8 (SD8) as well as the employees of the Creston and District Community Complex and the Creston Public Library.
CUPE is Canada’s largest union, with over 700,000 members across the country. CUPE represents workers across a broad range of sectors including health care, emergency services, primary, secondary and post-secondary education, early learning and child care, municipalities, social services, libraries, utilities, transportation and airlines.
- More than 60 per cent of our members are women
- More than 70 per cent of CUPE’s 3,946 collective agreements are with locals of 100 members or less
- CUPE has more than 2,363 locals and chartered organizations across the country, ranging in size from 20 to 20,000 members
- CUPE membership’s collective payroll is over $21.8 billion
- CUPE is a founding union of the Canadian Labour Congress, the umbrella organization for the Canadian labour movement. With dozens of affiliated Canadian and International unions, as well as provincial federations of labour and regional labour councils, the CLC represents the interests of more than three million workers in every imaginable occupation from coast to coast to coast.
Globally, CUPE is a proud and active affiliate of Public Service International. As the global federation of public sector unions, PSI represents 650 affiliated trade unions in 148 countries and territories worldwide, uniting more than 20 million public sector workers.